Welcome - Please Read

Welcome. I wanted to provide stripboard layouts I've made to help people new to electronics and even the more experienced get into different aspects of electronics.

I verify the layouts before I post them.

My Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/StripboardLayouts - Please Add For Updates!
My Twitter Thing: @InSonicBloom

Friday 4 May 2012

TDA2030 Based Amplifier Stripboard Veroboard


I needed a little boxed amplifier to power a 4 x 12" cab for studio use so I came up with this little thing, it works well. because I wanted to have a battery powered ability to it I used the OPA134 opamp because it draws stupidally low quiescent current, in fact it draws barely any current when you're hitting it with signal either. I'm not one of those dickheads who thinks that putting a Burr Brown op-amp in a tube screamer in place of the 4558 that comes in it will sound better - it's an overdrive pedal if there is any difference it will be gain not "clarity" "warmth" and any of that other Audiowank people talk about.
Anyway this thing is pretty cool - IT NEEDS A HEAT SINK!
The reason I chose this specific IC (TDA2030) is because it was in just about every broken thing with an amplifier built into it in my junk shed - there were 3 in 1 TV - 6 in another, 6 in just one of the old cheap shit surround sound system things so it made sense to just use a salvage part since I have loads of them.
I'm not sure if it is pin compatible with higher wattage types like the TDA2050 etc. but maybe I'll look into that at a later date.
I'll include my hand drawn schematic and update it when I can be bothered to draw it in EAGLE anyway here you go

My bands albums;
Double Negative - The Day The Dark Won
Double Negative - When We're Gone
Digital Versions

Sound Sample



Full Schematic
This is the layout including the power supply stage
my brutal transformer shielding, it buzzed a bit with a high gain distortion before it but the shielding sorted it out completely

24 comments:

  1. You, my friend, are an electronics ninja. I want to build an amp!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second only to a few select guitar and bass amplifiers. The ToneSucker Mk I is easily my goto amplifier with my goto high-gain distortion box of choice. Through my old 4x12" it sounds chunky, tight and the response is rapid for tracking complex rhythmic work. Also it is by far the best amplifier I have ever used to actually hear what each guitar and bass guitar stompbox/pedal really sounds like. My "Tone" totally fucking sucks but for me personally it is honest: Shit in > Shit out and if you fluff a note it lets you know it. I think this is your best build to date. Also it is idiot proof to use which is essential for a kave man like me. Superb suckage

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to build this amp. Can you please specify the voltage rating for each capacitor? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are all either 35v or 63v - bascially just use any caps over 35v apart from the big AC filter cap which is a 50v one (the 3300u one)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your prompt reply Paul!

    I already have the electronic parts but I can't find any store selling Veroboard/Stripboard here in Cebu (Philippines) ~ only PCB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to just buy it off eBay
    can you not use eBay there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello, what is the clean tone like on this or does it just do the distortion sound shown in the video?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is just a power amplifier - there is no distortion it just amplifies what you put into it - in this case it was a GT-8

      Delete
    2. ah cheers, one last one, what spec transformer do you recommend and what ohm-age speaker what be suitable?

      Delete
    3. 8 ohm speaker and at least an amp for the transformer (I used a 1.7 amp transformer)

      Delete
  7. sorry sir .. what type of speakers you use for this amplifier?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ..! Why did you use that little 8 pins op amp..?? in this amp.....And tda2030 requires voltage upto 28v so how it can work on 18v???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well you kind of answered the voltage question - it requires UPTO 28v
      the op-amp is a line buffer

      Delete
  9. very cool circuit & thanks fo sharing it, the guitar tone is very good...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sir.
    I tried to build this amp.
    It's lacking headroom. I used a 24 v 1amp transformer. And also the voltage across the lm317 drops to 12. Please help

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Paul, I have a question, the TDA2030, Based Amplifier.
    Do you have a 7809 or 7809L?
    Greetings thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will this amp work for bass guitar (with a preamp)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely; I often use it for my bass (fender Jazz Standard)

      Delete
  13. hello, what are the AC connections by the didoes? do I need a input transformer to build this?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, How many watts it produce? is loud enough for rehearsing whit a band?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Paul,
    thank you very much for your layouts. They are fantastic. I build some of it and they are great. But I have some problems with your TDA 2030 amp. It works fine but when I use a high gain distortion pedal in front of it, the amp produces a high frequency squearing when I increase the volume. Could it be a oscillating problem with the op amp? I use a TL071. Do I need the buffer/input stage if I combine this power amp for example with the ROG Mockman? Greetings, Chris

    ReplyDelete